Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Point of Entrance and Departure

I am back at the Point, the hostel in Lima where i spent the first two nights. It felt so familier and they even recognized us. Familier felt great after so much time on the road. It is not a feeling I get very often here.

I have been getting better at Taxis. For the first time our bus arrive really early. We had planned to arrive in Chiclayo at 5¨30 in the morning for our 10 am flight. We figured that really we would be there a little later and we would not have much time to wait in Chiclayo, and since we are on the equator almost the sun predictably comes up and down at six. Instead we got there at 3:40 am, in the dark, and were met with a sea of taxi drivers trying to scam tired passengers. Since I could not walk with my packback I agreed to be driven to the airport while Laura decided to wander and go to the big market. When I arrived at the airport it was dark and empty and the Taxi driver informed me that it would not open until seven adn that he should take me to a hotel. I was annoyed that he had not told me this earlier and thought it was suspicious. When he told me it was peligroso(dangerous) to wait I decided that he was trying to scam me. THe word Peligroso is the first sign of someone trying to take your money. I appproached the gate of teh airport and was let into the terminal immediately by the night watchman. I was glad to be inside because I did not want to be alone on the dark street without Laura and did nto want to have to check into a Hostel for three hours at four in the morning. I have never been in an airport so empty or dark. The chairs looked like some of teh most uncomfortable plastic retro shaped chairs I had seen in an airport and I tried to figure out a way to sleep. I realized i could sleep on top of them where the backs touched each other, which probably does not make much sense. Eventually I moved to the floor, spreading out my hammock, which has proved useful a million times. Eventually when people started arriving they told me I had to get off the hammock and out of my sleeping bag and I moved outside to the grass.
All in all I got a decent nights sleep.

When we arrived in the Lima airport we very politely told all the Taxi drivers that we did not need their help and would take a collectivo because it was only 2 soles. They told us it was Peligroso. We felt that we were much less likely to be scammed because we were in a van full of Peruvians who would complain if the car was driving in circles or doing something strange. We felt like we had learned so much since our first crazy night in Lima a month ago. We spent some time talking about what we had learned about traveling, life ourselves and what we would miss from here. We are both really excited for vegetables! We ended up arriving at the Hostel much faster and for only 5 soles each as opposed to 28 the first time after three hours of wandering and yelling in Spanish!